Creating Great DSLR Video
Learn to create great interviews, product demos or any type of video content using a DSLR camera.
Learn what it takes to create professional, polished video using a DSLR.
Half the battle in creating a great video is getting professional-quality audio. We introduce you to the tools and techniques to get the audio right the first time (because it’s the only chance you’ll get). Students will have the chance to work with top of the line professional mics and students learn to use the mics properly to get great audio. (we’ll also offer suggestions for getting good results with budget quality equipment for students still building their video production kits).
Next students learn how to light a product, person or scene in the most flattering way possible. Also covered is how to light a green screen background that can be knocked out and easily replaced. We will learn the classic Three Point lighting technique, butterfly lighting for clean commercial work and how to use and reflect natural light when you have it.
Students will learn how to stabilize their video with tripods and how to use a slider to add some controlled motion to their videos. We will learn all the necessary settings for cameras and lenses and then finally we’ll learning how to work with professional and amateur talent, how to interview, and tricks to get the best performance out of the people in front of your camera.
We wrap the day with a brief looking at keying out green screen backgrounds, reviewing footage shot for class and Q&A about video editing using either Final Cut Pro X or Adobe Premiere. Please note this is not a video editing class, we only use the software briefly at the end of class. If you are interested in editing in Final Cut Pro X please check out those classes on our site. We do not currently have any Adobe Premiere classes available.
The desire to create great video with your DSLR. If you have any questions about which class is right for you, contact us by email, phone or use our contact form.
- 6 hours of hands on training – 9am to 4pm
- 100% custom training content exclusive to C2
- USB Flash drive with all class files
- 1 year of email tech support
- 1 year free retake policy
- 100% Satisfaction guarantee
Class Outline by Topic
- What’s your story?
- Storyboarding, scripting & planning
- Making a Shotlist
- Record professional audio
- Using On-camera mic as fallback (Rode VideoMic Pro)
- Booming with a shotgun mic (Sennheiser MKH 416)
- Lavaliere mic on talent (Wireless Sennheiser G3 & wired Rode smartlav+)
- Record directly into computer with Apogee Duet
- Record handheld with Zoom H6
- Using your phone to get the best audio possible as backup to main audio
- Monitor audio levels with headphones
- Recording at the right level
- Minimizing environmental noise
- Using available light – bouncing and reflecting
- Scrimming to control natural light
- Hot lights vs LED
- Three point lighting for flat commercial work
- lighting for mood and drama
- Lighting a green screen
- Camera Stabilization and sliding
- Tripods & monopods
- Video cameras
- DSLRs, Dedicated cameras and phones
- Lens options
- Cropping and framing
- Setting aperture, shutter speed and ISO for perfect exposures
- Special video techniques: slow motion
- Shooting an interview
- Getting good results from non-professional talent
- Using an iPad teleprompter
- Shooting interview B-roll
- Shooting an product demo
- Working with professional talent
- Lighting a green screen
- Review work and rough cut with Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere
- Match audio
- Keying out greenscreens
Upcoming Class Dates:
Pick your own class dates!
Schedule this class on dates that work for you.
Love C2 Training! I always walk away with great ideas.
I am rusty and needed to be brought back up to speed. Feel refreshed and learned many basics that I didn’t know I needed!
Well organized and gave practical examples that I can apply to my work.