Creating Motion Graphics with Photoshop
Learn to create exciting, professional motion graphics using the software you already know and love — Photoshop!
Motion graphics are in high-demand today, whether it’s a video ad for the web or an explainer video for a new product, motion graphics are the new go-to tool. While Photoshop’s video editing capabilities are not intended for editing long video, they’re perfect for animating graphics and compositing short works. Photoshop is capable of creating professional content for most of the basic animations needed for short projects and you can get up and running faster using a piece of software you already know and have experience with — you’ll be creating great looking animations in no time with this two-day hands-on training class.
This class is for Photoshop users who want to dip their toes in the motion graphics world without committing to learning Adobe After Effects or Apple Motion. Should you learn Photoshop or After Effects for motion graphics? It depends of course on what you want to create. Here are some pros and cons of using Photoshop for motion graphics:
- Move, fade, rotate, scale any photoshop layer
- Animate any transform you can do to a smart object
- You can bring multiple audio and video files into your Photoshop animation
- You can animate effects and styles (drop shadows, bevel and emboss, color overlays, etc)
- Photoshop users can use their existing knowledge of Photoshop – you have to learn one new panel and the ideas of animation but all your previous knowledge of effects, masking, corrections, scaling and cropping apply.
- Everything you learn about motion graphics (how to keyframe etc) carries over to After Effects if you choose to move to After Effects later.
- No easing of animations for natural motion (unless you ease by hand using keyframes). I consider this to be the major weakness of Photoshop as a motion graphics program.
- Rotation in Photoshop is more tedious than it should be.
- You cannot animate Photoshop filters. You can apply them, of course, to anything but making them change settings over time isn’t possible (again, unless you do frame-by-frame keyframes). In Photoshop you can apply a filter to a duplicate layer, then fade that layer into the original but, particularly with blurs, the effect is not as visually pleasing as doing the same effect in After Effects.
- Audio track control is limited to: mute, volume, fade-in, and fade-out, applied to the entire audio clip, no keyframing of these properties.
- No built-in text animation presets (you can manually animate words or blocks of text like any other layer but no letter-by-letter or word-by-word animation presets like the ones provided by Keynote, Powerpoint, Motion or After Effects)
Students will learn how to produce kinetic text, product demos, animated charts and infographics, branded intros for videos, and animated video ads for web.
- 12 hours of hands on training – 9am to 4pm both days
- 100% custom training content exclusive to C2
- USB Flash drive with all class files
- 1 year of email tech support
- 1 year free retake policy
- 100% Satisfaction guarantee
Class Outline by Topic
- Animate slideshows
- Adding audio
- Prebuilt animations
- Animate Kinetic Text
- Sliding and moving objects
- Warping Text
- Scaling, Transforming and zooming
- Adding existing video
- Animating style changes
- Prepare animation for use as a web ad
- Editing to a beat
- Preparing audio
- Charts and graphs
- Preparing data content
- Color and mood
- Data visualization
- Rebuilding from other data sources
- Exporting data
- Importing Illustrator/vector artwork
- Realistic physics
- Explainer video
- Adding voiceover
- Exporting series of stills as fallback for video
- Product introduction
- Compositing video
- Special effects
- Character animation
- Onion skinning
- Exporting animated GIF version as fallback for video
- Complex animations with smart objects
- 3D layers
- Animating Photoshop’s filters
Upcoming Class Dates
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.
Pick your own class dates!
Schedule this class on dates that work for you.
Love C2 Training! I always walk away with great ideas.
I am rusty and needed to be brought back up to speed. Feel refreshed and learned many basics that I didn’t know I needed!
Well organized and gave practical examples that I can apply to my work.